· Imperative to have raised a puppy on your own. While growing up as a kid, your parents brought home a pup and you feel you were a part of it, this is still not the same. If you have not raised a puppy as an adult, no need to further. I am sorry. The learning curve can be done on someone else's puppy, not one of mine. I am sorry I am a bit tough with this.
If you have raised your own children, you were a better parent after your first child. Recommend contacting a local Labrador Rescue and saving a Labrador. This will allow you to learn what it takes to be responsible for a 4 legged kid.
· Fenced good size yard. Invisible fencing does not work best for a young pup. A dog park is a no-no. If you reside in the country without proper fencing or an area for the dog to call his/her home? Then you don't qualify.
Residing in an apartment is not enough yard space for a Labrador! If you have a new home without a fence or in the process purchasing a home, wait til you have proof you have that home and have that fence built out.
Large land owners, a specific dog yard is necessary for a Labrador as they will get themselves in trouble by following their nose, that is always on the ground. It's in the breed of dog. Please be prepared to email photos of your yard and dog area. Thank you
· Please provide your attending Vet information caring for your existing or past dogs. I like to review annual vaccinations and overall best health care for your dogs in the past.
· Who is going to train your Lab? Do you have this experience? Or are you just placing a harness and a lead on your Lab and not planning on any training and allowing your Lab to take you for a walk? I recommend Bill Hillman Retriever Training on You Tube or his DVDs. If you plan for a Labrador to become an in home dog, please choose another breed of dog. Labradors deserve to run, play, be out on dirt and grass and be outdoors. I don't support training with clicker or treats.
Truly, Bill Hillman is the best to direct you to train and bring up a Labrador Retriever in the best manner. A personal trainer coming into your home during COVID is highly not recommended.
· If you already have another dog at home, sanitizing for Parvo is of upmost. How are you going to separate your existing dog from the new puppy for 6-7 weeks til your puppy has more of the puppy shots? And what do you know about Parvo? Are you aware this kills puppies? I send a puppy home with 3 puppy shots but you have 8 more weeks of shots. The puppy should NOT go out in the backyard til the puppy has 2 more puppy shots. Hard floor that is sanitized with Pro Logic or Virkon to kill Parvo is essential.
A crate? A portable pen? You shouldn't take a pup home and let them run around all over the place. Before discussing with me over the phone a reservation you need to of updated with your Vet the latest on Parvo for your area and plus, discuss the plan and layout for where the puppy is coming home to.
· Have you updated yourself with the latest info and research for why Labradors are not spayed/neutered til fully grown at age Two? The latest info from FDA research on grain free dog food and the dog food brands linked to Cardiomyopathy? How about Copper Storage Disease that is linked to high quantities of copper in majority of manufactured dog food? I have a paper I wrote on the subject about CSD on my blog and links to research for 35 yrs being conducted on this subject at Michigan State University.
There are more grants and research done on the Labrador still to date, so it is still a smart move to adopt a Labrador in with you and your family. I hope you are seeking a breeder that takes great care in making certain the parents for the puppies and the lineage are clear of the DNA diseases and especially cleared from the epidemic Copper Toxicosis that 35-70% of the Labradors around the World have.
· I care where my kids go. In the last dozen years, I've made a few mistakes on where my pups have gone. These couples or individuals were checked out, with their Vet and they still made mistakes. Sad and horrible stories I can share. Some returned back to me. Some I never had a chance and were killed one way or another.
If you are unable to answer the questions, unable to check out clean as a new puppy owner for one of my kids, then I wish you well and once you have made many of the mistakes that one goes thru with their first to second dog, then come back to me and we can discuss you being a new Parent to one of my kids then. PLEASE DO NOT STILL CALL ME AND TRY TO GET A PUPPY IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO ANSWER THE QUESTIONS. I AM TOUGH. I AM PROTECTING THE PUPPY.
I am not judging you as a person. But I am judging you based on experience, photos of yard, condition of fence and reviews from Vet.
· If you can Pre-Qualify? Then please answer the questions and I will give you a call within a day. At that time we will review the latest about pre-disposed conditions to date on Labradors, Parvo, COVID, best diet for Labradors to date, timing for spaying/neutering, training, conditions at home, photos of home and backyard that has fencing and clearance to reach out to your Vet. I always line up 2-3 options for puppy reservations with solid reservations so you can make plans.
Thank you for your time,